Monday, January 23, 2012

Roman Shade

It was finally time to change out the curtain I had in my master bathroom.  It matched absolutely nothing in my room and came with the house and even my husband hated it.  If he didn't like it then you know it's bad because he rarely has opinion on that sort of thing.  Of course I bought the fabric some time ago and just recently decided to go with a roman shade.  My mom found a youtube tutorial that shows you the basics of it, but it doesn't go step by step.  She made one for my sister in law and I took what she learned and tried to make my own.  We had to track down the supplies, which we ended up buying from a drapery supplier. We had to change how the battens or ribs were attached to the fabric because the glue didn't work out.  We ended up drilling small holes in the battens and sewing them onto the fabric.  I probably could have sewn channels for them to slide into, but I don't think I would have liked the extra stitching on the front of my fabric.  The shade was more work than I figured and I guess I was hoping for an "Oh Wow" moment when I hung it up.  I just sort of looked at it and went, hmm.  I mean it was okay.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I did add the trim along the top and the bottom and I definitely think that helped it.  I do like it now and I think it had to grow on me.  Here is a picture of the shade when it's down.

Here is what it looks like when it's pulled up.  

1 comment: