Monday, September 5, 2011

Frosted Glass Fix

So, as you remember from a previous post I have some Ikea bedroom furniture that I love, but there is one little problem, you can still see everything that is in there.  The idea of frosted glass is great, but it's not so appealing when you have all sorts of different colored clothes and it starts to look messy.  I had already done this on the drawers to my dressers in a previous post and decided that the armoire needed the same thing.  Here's a picture of what it looked like before.

The only problem with it was the long length of glass.  I thought I could get away with using some sort of silver wrapping paper.  That didn't work out so well.  It looked terrible and it didn't lay flat enough and you could see every little wrinkle.  So I went back to the posterboard.  Thankfully, I could break it up by the faux muntins.  Are you wondering what a muntin is? Good, me too.  It's the strip of wood separating and holding the pains of glass in a window.  Well, mine is faux since the strip is just stuck on to the glass to look like a muntin.
This project took me 8 pieces of silver posterboard, but the end result makes me wonder why it took me till now to do this.  I've had this armoire for six years and it has always bugged me that I could see the items through the frosted glass.


The inside isn't as fabulous, but you can see how I put the posterboard inside. I'm just happy to have another project complete and off my list.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great, good solution! I had an Ikea dresser a few years back with the same problem. Lukily it had smaller frosty panels so I just used some white contact paper. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete